The Cary Company, founded in 1895 by George B. Cary, began operations in Chicago as an exporter of linseed cake and meal. The company continued successfully through two decades when World War I necessitated switching to a domestic type of business. Thereupon, the enterprise became manufacturer’s agents to distribute raw materials to the paint industry, at which time George Cary’s son, Robert, entered the business.
The five decades that followed manifested steady progress in a healthy growth of The Cary Company and were marked at intervals by the acquisition of additional, carefully chosen product lines. This period saw the entry into the business of grandson, William A. Cary in 1946. William G. Cary, a great grandson, joined the company in 1970 and is now a Board Member. He represents the fourth generation of Carys.
Kenneth E. Tyrrell, President & CEO; Brian Ehlert, VP Sales; T.J. Tyrrell, VP Marketing & Operations; Nick Sperka & Larry Bonick, Sales Managers of Containers and Packaging; and Carolyn Sperka, VP of Service Operations, make up an integral part of Cary’s management team.
Today, The Cary Company is proud to represent an unparalleled list of distinguished suppliers, recognized leaders in their respective fields, and which collectively serve such industries as paint and coatings, adhesives, asphalt, automotive, building, chemical, electronics, flooring, food, foundries, graphic arts, printing inks, oil and grease, paper, plastics, pharmaceuticals, putty, caulks, sealants, rubber, detergents and wallpaper.
Our experienced staff is ready to serve your requirements in every capacity. Through the excellent facilities of our manufacturers’ research laboratories, we are prepared to give prompt service in matters requiring special technical assistance. Our own trucking company gives us delivery flexibility. Check out our videos to learn more about who we are and what we represent!
The Cary Company is also an active member of both the National Association of Container Distributors (NACD), and the National Association of Chemical Distributors (NACD) and have signed on to their Responsible Distribution. In July 1997 we moved to a new 140,000 sq. ft. state-of-the-art headquarters and warehouse facility in Addison, IL for optimal customer service. In 2016 we expanded our building to 240,000 sq. ft. to support our growth.
In March 2001 The Cary Company announced the acquisition of the Horton-Earl Company of St. Paul, MN. Horton-Earl, a well known and respected organization, had been a model of distribution excellence for many years in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and surrounding states. Through this acquisition, The Cary Company has expanded both sales territory and product lines with which to serve our growing customer base.
We are grateful to all of our loyal customers for making our first 120+ years of progress possible,
and we look forward to the privilege of continuing to serve them in the future.