As you might have seen in our first DIY project: Tinting Mason Jars; We at The Cary Company love to show our customers creative and unique ways to use our products! The summer is ending and we need to take advantage of sitting outside to enjoy the weather every night after work. We chose this next DIY project to help emphasize this. These Tin Can Luminaries are a low-cost and easy way to brighten up your patio!
This project worked perfectly for Patriot Day but can also be used for any holiday! Whether it be for Halloween, or simply to spruce up your patio, these Tin Can Luminaries will be the easiest DIY project you have done to date!
Any of our Tin Cans will work perfect for this project! View our complete line of tin cans here!
3 Tin Cans
Tea Candles (battery operated or regular)
Newspaper (something to protect surface)
1. First take your tin cans fill them with water and place them in the freezer. The frozen water will protect your tin can from denting while you puncture the design in later. (TIP: You can prepare this the night before)
2. Once the water has turned to ice, take your cans out of the freezer and place your stencil on the can. If you do not have a stencil simply take your marker and draw an outline for your design. (TIP: Stencils can be found online)
3. Place a towel under your can to eliminate movement when drawing and puncturing design.
4. Next take your hammer and nail and slowly puncture the holes into the can to create the design. Make sure the can is secure.
5. Now, remove your stencil and place your can under hot water to melt the ice.
6. Once the ice is all melted, dry your can and start painting however you like! (Tip: You may have to re-puncture some of the holes after the paint has dried due to paint accumulation)
7. Last but not least, place your candle or light into the can and voila! Festive Tin Can Luminaries your guests will love!
For more information on our Tin Cans give us a call at (630)-629-6600!