DIY Mason Jar Tinting
As the summer is scorching on, we at the Cary Company would like to show you some creative ways to use our products. Mason Jars have been a hot commodity this summer and are a cute and easy way to spruce up your house. Whether making center pieces, vases, flame-less candle holders or fun organization jars, tinting our Mason Jars are a unique exciting way to do this! We have released a series of articles to show you how festive and convenient mason jars can be and the many ways you can utilize them!
Any of our Mason jars are perfect for this DIY Project! View our complete line of Mason Jars here!
Important Note: These jars are for decorative purpose only and are not intended to package anything edible. If you are planning to use these jars for edibles securely wrap the gift in separate packing before placing it in the jar!
- Mason Jars
- Gloss Mod Podge
- Liquid Food Coloring
- Popsicle Sticks
- Tin Foil
- Water (optional)
- Baking sheet
- Oven (pre-heated to 225 degrees)
1. Wipe off your mason jars of any tags or dust that may have accumulated. Prepare a workspace with layer of tin foil down in case anything spills while you are mixing.
2. Take your Mod Podge and pour some into your mason jar. The amount of Mod Podge will vary depending on how big your jar is. You just need enough in there to properly coat the entire inside of your jar (usually no more than a ¼ cup)
3. Then take your food coloring and drip 5-9 drops into your jar. Mix your Mod Podge and food coloring until completely mixed with a Popsicle stick inside the jar.
4. Turn your mason jar sideways and swirl the mixture to slowly gloss the entire inside of the jar. (Tip: If the Mod Podge mixture is too thick to spread you can add a tablespoon of water for thinning) Do not worry, the mixture is supposed to look pastel because of the white Mod Podge, once you bake your jars the color will be transparent.
5. After the inside of your jar is completely coated turn it over onto a sheet of tin foil in order to drain the excess mixture. (Tip: To prevent an accumulation of the mixture around the rim of your jar you can place two Popsicle sticks down and set the jar onto of them raising it above the tin foil)
6. Let the jar dry and drain for an hour to an hour and a half before you bake it.
7. Once you have drained your jar for the full hour you can now pre-heat your oven to 225 degrees. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and place your mason jar upright. Bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until your mason jar is completely dry and the glass is transparent.
8. Finally remove your Mason Jar from the oven and let it cool off and decorate and fill it however you like!
For more information on our Mason Jars give us a call (630) 629-6600!